Book Group Discussion Guide: "Loving Before Loving"
1. Were there any surprises about 1960s Black/white life?
What about that life did the narrator not understand?
And what did she learn?
What did you learn?
2. What has changed about racial justice politics since then?
And what hasn't changed?
3. Why did it take the narrator so long to become a professional writer?
What was the role of motherhood in her life?
4. What role did the Women's Movement play in her life, personally and professionally?
5. Which character(s) did you most identify with?
6. Which book(s), poems, or essays discussed her might will you read next?
7. What new social justice actions might you take now?
8. How did you feel when you finished Loving?
To schedule a book club visit with Dr. Lester, please contact:
Casey LaVela, firstname.lastname@example.org